The baby is the size of a POPPY SEED.
- First blood cells are present
- First blood vessels are present
- The baby's brain is developing: The forebrain, midbrain and hindbrain are present
- Spinal Cord, Digestive Tract & Heart development begin
- Heart & Stomach are formed
- Head, chest, abdomen & all limbs are distinct
The baby is the size of a raspberry.
- Spinal nerves, esophagus, liver, gallbladder, trachea, lung sac and kidneys are formed
- Reflex movements are present
- Startle Response is present
- The baby will turn away if touched near the mouth
- Brainwaves can be recorded
- Bone formation of collar bone, teeth & jaw has begun
- Bladder, voice box, and muscles are forming
- Turns neck, moves hands & feet
- Heart rate is around 170 beats per minute
- Ovaries are present in girls & testes in boys
- Nerve bundles are in fingertips
The baby is the size of a plum.
- Moves jaw actively
- Sucks thumb
- Swallows, sighs, yawns and stretches
- Responds to touch on face, palm, soles
- Moves eyes
- Fingerprint & Nails are formed
- Able to smile
- Male/Female genitalia formed
- Taste buds are formed
- Urination begins
- First signs of left or right handedness
The baby is the size of an avocado.
- Responds to touch everywhere
- Mom feels movement
- Digestive Enzymes are produces
- Fat deposits in cheeks
The baby is the size of mango.
- Mom feels movement
- Hair is on the scalp
- Hearing begins
- Around 20 weeks the baby can now survive outside the womb with specialized care
The baby is the size of a cantaloupe.
- If born prematurely 63% of babies survive
- All skin layers, structures and glands are present
- Breathing motion can be seen 14% of the time
- Blink-Startle response present
The baby is the size of an eggplant.
- Sense of taste and smell present
- Eyes produce tears
- Pupils react to light
- Distinguish high and low pitched sounds
The baby is the size of a pineapple.
- Sleep patterns form
- Breathing motion can be seen 40% of the time
The baby is the size of a watermelon.
- Voice & Music Memories are formed
- Firm hand grip
- Nails reach fingertips
- Drinks up to 25 ounces daily
- Baby is born around 40 weeks